Did you know that August is National Sandwich Month?
Well, what better month to feature the the two sandwich recreations I made, both of which were inspired by the awesome Mendocino Farms sandwich shop John and I visited twice while in L.A.
|Name:||Curried Chicken Salad Sandwich|
|Prep Time:||15 minutes|
|Cooking Time:||0 minutes (no cooking required)|
|Total Time:||15 minutes|
|Yield:||Approximately 4 servings|
The first copycat sandwich I made was this Curried Chicken Salad Sandwich.
Tender chunks of poached chicken are folded into a creamy yogurt dressing, which is spiced up with mango chutney and curry powder. Tart dried cherries and crisp diced apples are added in, and then the salad gets sandwiched between two slices of fruit-and-nut bread.
I especially love the addition of diced apple in the chicken salad, given my aversion to celery (I know… weird, right?). The crisp apples replace the crunch of the celery, and the bit of sweetness is a nice complement to the sweet/savory curry-yogurt dressing.
Happy National Sandwich Month!
Curried Chicken Salad Sandwich
yield: 1 sandwich
- 4 oz skinless, boneless chicken breast (about 1/2 of a medium-sized breast)
- enough low-sodium chicken broth to cover the chicken breast in a small saucepan, about 2-3 cups
- 1/4 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp mango chutney
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- pinch of Kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp chopped unsweetened & unsulfured dried sweet cherries
- 1/4 cup diced Granny Smith apple
- romaine lettuce
- 2 slices of your favorite sandwich bread with nuts & fruit (I used When Pigs Fly Harvest Bread, with apples, raisins, walnuts, and seeds)
- Heat the chicken broth in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until boiling. Slide chicken breast in, partially cover saucepan with a lid, and reduce heat to a simmer. Poach for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Remove chicken from the broth and let cool on a cutting board. When cool, chop chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt, mango chutney, curry powder, salt, cherries, and apples in a small bowl. Stir to combine and coat the fruit. Stir in the cooled chopped chicken. Taste, and add salt if desired. Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Layer the lettuce and chicken salad onto a slice of bread, and top with remaining piece of bread.
Nutritional Information (this will vary depending on what kind of bread you use):
475.2 calories, 4.8 grams fat, 1.1 gram saturated fat, 3.8 grams fiber, 24.6 grams sugar, 37.3 grams protein.
Estimated Nutrition Per Serving:
Calories: Approximately 400 calories per serving.
Protein: About 20 grams.
Carbohydrates: Approximately 35 grams.
Fat: About 22 grams.
Fiber: Around 3 grams.
Sugars: Approximately 12 grams.
Sodium: About 500 milligrams.