The last day of Love Your Heart month has arrived, and this week we’re aaallll about the heart healthy desserts. You know what that means, right?!
Chocolate. Dark Chocolate. Dark chocolate chunk frozen yogurt, in this case.
Be sure to check out all of the hearty-healthy dessert recipes featured today:
Cara’s Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes
Nicole’s Meyer Lemon and Blackberry Olive Oil Polenta Cake
Amy’s Fruit Tarts
As someone who generally prefers vanilla or fruity flavors when it comes to ice cream, I surprised myself when chocolate frozen yogurt was the first idea to pop into my head when brainstorming heart-healthy desserts.
The flavonoids in dark chocolate (we’re talking chocolate with at least 75% cocao) can reduce inflammation that leads to heart disease, and may also lower blood pressure by deactivating free radicals in your blood; thereby keeping your arteries healthfully open.
It tastes pretty damn good, too ;).
A creamy and rich cocoa-spiked Greek yogurt base is dotted with chopped dark chocolate in this decadent-tasting frozen yogurt.
It would be outrageous slowly melting over a warm brownie – and I know from personal experience that it’s amazing topped with melted peanut butter – but this frozen yogurt is also delicious all on its own.
Consider me a chocolate ice cream convert!
Dark Chocolate Chunk Frozen Yogurt
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Keywords: dessert greek yogurt chocolate frozen yogurt
Ingredients (6 servings)
- 2 cups plain 0% fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup plain 2% fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup evaporated cane juice (or another granulated unrefined sugar)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (if you’re concerned about lumps, you can sift the cocoa powder before adding it to the yogurt; I did not do this)
- 2 1/2 oz dark chocolate (at least 70% cocao & preferably fair trade), chopped (about 1/2 cup)
In a large bowl, combine yogurts, evaporated cane juice, vanilla extract, and cocoa powder. Stir until the evaporated cane juice and cocoa powder are completely dissolved. Refrigerate mixture for at least one hour.
Freeze according to ice cream maker manufacturer’s instructions, adding the chopped dark chocolate in the last couple of minutes of churning.
Serve immediately as soft serve, or spoon into a freezer-safe container and place in freezer until “ripened” (hardened).
Once frozen solid, thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes or until softened.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
197.0 calories, 5.3 grams fat, 3.5 grams saturated fat, 3.2 grams fiber, 26.5 grams sugars, 12.4 grams protein
The final giveaway is a fantastic one! Be sure to visit Cara’s, Nicole’s, and Amy’s sites for other chances to win.
One lucky winner will receive a prize pack consisting of the following goodies + a $25.00 gift card from Bob’s Red Mill.
To Enter the Giveaway, please leave one comment for each of the following actions. Enter as many times as you like!
- Leave a comment telling me about your favorite heart-healthy dessert or what you like about this frozen yogurt.
- Link up to a heart-healthy dessert recipe on your blog. Please share the love by using our badge!
- Subscribe to Healthy Food For Living
- Mention this giveaway on Twitter or Facebook with a link to this page
- Follow me on Facebook or Twitter
- Follow Bob’s Red Mill on Twitter
- Like Bob’s Red Mill on Facebook
No purchase necessary. The contest will close on Sunday March 4th at 11:59 pm EST, at which point a winner will be chosen via random number generator. Winner must reside in the United States and supply a valid email address in the commenting form. Winner will be contacted and have 3 days to respond, at which point s/he forfeits the prize and another winner will be chosen. Winner will provide name, email address, shipping address and phone number and give me permission to supply this information to the sponsors of the giveaway items.