This recipe prompted the following self-posed question: why don’t I make salsa more often?
It couldn’t be easier, and the finished product is leagues beyond the jarred stuff… both in freshness and taste. I have my favorite brands, (Mrs. Renfro’s is a front runner), but I’ve realized that I really should go the homemade route more frequently!
There’s something to be said for roasted salsa – the flavor of charred peppers, onions, and tomatoes is fantastic – but I have little interest in turning on the oven in 85° weather… you? If you’re in the same boat as I am, then this no-cook salsa is the way to go.
Tart tomatillos, rich avocados, herby cilantro, and spicy jalapeno peppers are pulsed together until a creamy salsa forms.
Voila! Raw salsa verde made in about 3 minutes. Can’t beat that.
Creamy No-Cook Salsa Verde
adapted from The Food Network
yield: about 1 cup; four 1/4 cup servings
- 3 tomatillos, husked, rinsed, & coarsely chopped
- 1/2 ripe but firm medium-sized avocado, peeled
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 medium-sized jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Place the tomatillos, avocado, cilantro, jalapeno, and lime juice in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Process/blend until no large pieces remain.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for a couple of hours for best flavor.
Nutritional Information Per 1/4 cup Serving:
44.8 calories, 3.6 grams fat, 0.5 grams saturated fat, 2 grams fiber, 1.1 gram sugars, 0.7 grams protein