Phew! It has been H-O-T here in Boston this week. I don’t know about you but when the temperature soars I have little interest in spending a prolonged amount of time over the stove or in front of the oven. Even though I could happily enjoy a bowl of fruit and yogurt for dinner on nights like these my desire to prepare a legitimate meal usually wins out over the heat-induced ennui.
|Chipotle Shrimp Tacos with Avocado & Mango Salsa
One of the easiest and quickest meals I’ve made in a while, these Chipotle Shrimp Tacos with Avocado & Mango salsa were on the table in 10 minutes… including prep time. I tossed the already peeled & deveined shrimp with a drizzle of olive oil, a squeeze of lime juice, a touch of salt, and a generous sprinkling of chipotle chili powder before briefly sautéing them.
The salsa came together in an equally short amount of time, and tasted so good by itself that I had trouble keeping my spoon out of it. I’m glad I restrained myself from scarfing down the whole bowlful because the pairing of the sweet mango & creamy avocado salsa with the spicy chipotle shrimp was nothing short of delicious.
To complete this light summer-on-a-plate meal, I made a corn salad that mimicked the flavors in the salsa. Red onion, cilantro, lime juice, and minced jalapeno pepper were tossed with corn, olive oil, and a bit of ground cumin. Yep, I should’ve made twice as much so I could have enjoyed another serving the following day for lunch.
Simplistic. Fresh. Healthy. Colorful. Flavorful. In other words, perfect after a day of near triple digit temperatures in the city!
Chipotle Shrimp Tacos with Avocado & Mango Salsa
Ingredients for the tacos
- 1 lb peeled & deveined shrimp
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- juice from 1 lime
- 2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 8 taco-sized flour or corn tortillas
Ingredients for the Avocado & Mango Salsa
- 2 ripe mangos, peeled, pitted, & finely chopped
- 1 ripe but firm avocado, peeled, pitted, & finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp diced red onion
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- juice from 1 lime
- Kosher salt, to taste
- plain Greek yogurt, optional
- lime wedges, optional
- hot sauce, optional
Directions for the salsa:
- Combine mango through salt in a small bowl. Stir to mix and set aside. If preparing a few hours in advance refrigerate until ready to serve.
Directions for the tacos:
- Combine shrimp through salt in a medium bowl. Toss to coat shrimp.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add coated shrimp to hot skillet and cook until opaque and curled about 1-2 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile place the tortillas in between two pieces of slightly damp paper towel and microwave for 30-45 seconds or until warm.
- Spoon cooked shrimp into warmed tortillas and serve with salsa and accoutrements.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)
Calories:280 calories per serving.
Protein:20 grams per serving.
Carbohydrates:27 grams per serving.
Dietary Fiber:5 grams per serving.
Sugars:8 grams per serving.
Fat:11 grams per serving.
Saturated Fat:2 grams per serving.
Cholesterol:175 milligrams per serving.
Sodium:350 milligrams per serving.
Please note that these are rough estimates and can vary depending on the specific brands and quantities of ingredients used. Additionally, these estimates do not include any optional toppings or additional ingredients that individuals may choose to add to their tacos.