1. I’m getting a big kick out of Lisa Kudrow’s new series Web Therapy which airs on Showtime Mondays at 11 PM (which of course means I watch it On Demand… 11:00 is past my bedtime).
Although my career path took a culinary turn along the way, I actually went to school (both undergrad at Lafayette College and grad at Boston College) for counseling psychology; this might explain my fascination with psychology-themed shows (I LOVED Gabriel Byrne’s In Treatment… hope it’s coming back for another season!).
Web Therapy has a decidedly different vibe than In Treatment, but I’m enjoying it nonetheless.
2. I had a couple of kitchen bloopers over the weekend; both were a mess to clean up, but at least one of ’em tasted divine!
I overfilled my ice cream maker juuuust a tad. Fortunately this vegan coconut milk-based cookies & cream ice cream tasted fabulous… recipe to come later this week.
Trust me, you want to come back for this recipe!
The following morning I attempted to make blueberry buttermilk waffles (adapted from Alton Brown), but for some reason three out of the four waffles stuck to the iron.
I halved the recipe, subbed in all whole wheat pastry flour, and added in fresh blueberries… not sure exactly where things went wrong, but even the cooked pieces I managed to salvage didn’t taste perfect.
Back to the drawing board on that one, I’m afraid.
3. Today’s Back Burner post features a recipe that can’t be messed up! Super simple – but scrumptious – Mango, Avocado, & Toasted Coconut Salad with Lime Vinaigrette.
I originally made this salad back in early spring of 2011, and am bringing it back to share again because it’s the perfect hot-weather lunch.
|Name:||Mango, Avocado, & Toasted Coconut Salad with Lime Vinaigrette (Revisited)|
|Prep Time:||15 minutes|
|Cooking Time:||5 minutes (for toasting coconut, if desired)|
|Total Time:||20 minutes|
|Yield:||6 cups of salad per serving|
For the Salad:
- 2 ripe mangos, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened, depending on your preference)
- 4 cups mixed greens (spinach, arugula, and baby kale work well)
For the Lime Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 2-3 limes)
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup (for a vegan option)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Toast the Coconut:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Spread the shredded coconut evenly on a baking sheet.
- Toast it in the oven for 3-5 minutes, or until the coconut turns golden brown. Keep a close eye on it as it can burn quickly.
- Remove the toasted coconut from the oven and let it cool.
2. Prepare the Lime Vinaigrette:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, honey (or maple syrup), olive oil, Dijon mustard, salt, and black pepper until well combined. Set aside.
3. Assemble the Salad:
- In a large salad bowl, combine the diced mangos, diced avocados, and mixed greens.
- Drizzle the lime vinaigrette over the salad and gently toss everything together until the ingredients are evenly coated with the dressing.
4. Add the Toasted Coconut:
- Sprinkle the toasted coconut over the top of the salad. This adds a delightful crunch and a touch of sweetness to every bite.
5. Serve and Enjoy:
- Divide the salad among individual plates or serve it family-style.
- Garnish with extra lime wedges, if desired, for an added burst of citrus flavor.
- Enjoy your Mango, Avocado, & Toasted Coconut Salad with Lime Vinaigrette as a refreshing appetizer or a light, satisfying main course.
|Estimated Nutrition Per Serving|
|Carbohydrates:||32g (Dietary Fiber: 9g, Sugars: 20g)|