Massaged Kale Salad with Beans, Quinoa, & Hummus is a delightful and nutritious dish that’s not only bursting with flavor but also packed with essential nutrients. This recipe combines the earthy taste of kale, the protein punch of beans and quinoa, and the creamy goodness of hummus into a satisfying and wholesome salad. Whether you’re a kale enthusiast or someone looking to incorporate more plant-based meals into your diet, this recipe is sure to impress your taste buds and leave you feeling nourished.
|Name:||Massaged Kale Salad with Beans, Quinoa, & Hummus|
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cooking Time||15 minutes (for quinoa, if not pre-cooked)|
|Total Time||30 minutes (including prep and optional cooking)|
|Yield||6 cups of salad|
There’s no limit to what kind of ingredients you can add to a massaged kale salad; I opted for protein-rich add-ins this time around.
Cannellini (white kidney) beans, quinoa, and hummus team up with massaged kale to create a satisfying salad.
I very rarely eat meat for lunch – and only make it about twice a week for dinner – and I’ve found that vegetarian protein is a great substitute in terms of satiating my appetite and keeping me energized.
Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, nuts and nut butter, beans, and hummus are all protein-rich foods I rely on as lunchtime staples. This salad brings quinoa to the game, which – although treated as a grain – is packed with protein.
If you’re looking to up your vegetarian protein intake without resorting to powders and supplements, give this salad a try!
- 4 cups stemmed kale leaves, washed and dried
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup rinsed and drained white cannellini beans
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup of your favorite hummus
1. Prepare the Kale
- Wash the kale leaves thoroughly and remove the tough stems.
- Stack the leaves, roll them up, and thinly slice them into ribbons.
2. Massage the Kale
- Place the sliced kale in a large mixing bowl.
- Drizzle 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil over the kale and add a pinch of salt.
- Gently massage the kale with your hands for 2-3 minutes until it begins to soften and wilt. Massaging the kale helps to break down its tough fibers and improve the texture.
3. Prepare the Dressing
- In a small bowl, whisk together the hummus, remaining olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, honey or maple syrup, salt, and pepper until well combined. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
4. Assemble the Salad
- Add the cooked quinoa, beans, cherry tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, and roasted red bell peppers (if using) to the massaged kale in the mixing bowl.
- Pour the prepared dressing over the salad ingredients.
5. Toss and Serve
- Gently toss all the ingredients together until the dressing evenly coats the salad.
- Top with Kalamata olives and crumbled feta cheese if desired.
- Allow the salad to sit for a few minutes to let the flavors meld.
6. Serve and Enjoy
- Divide the Massaged Kale Salad into individual bowls or plates.
- Garnish with extra lemon wedges or a drizzle of olive oil if desired.
- Serve immediately and enjoy your wholesome, nutrient-packed meal.
Estimated Nutrition per Serving
- Calories:290 calories
- Carbohydrates:36 grams
- Dietary Fiber:7 grams
- Sugars:4 grams
- Fat:13 grams
- Saturated Fat:2 grams
- Cholesterol:0 milligrams
- Sodium:430 milligrams
- Vitamin A:260% DV
- Vitamin C:180% DV
- Calcium:15% DV
- Iron:20% DV