This is my way of boycotting the lingering winter temperatures.
Maybe… just maybe… we can entice the spring weather to descend by relishing in light tropical meals?
Hey, it’s worth a shot.
The flavors in this salad are potent enough to at least mentally transport you to a sun-drenched beach, where your agenda for the day is comprised purely of lounging in a hammock with a good book.
Have you ever tried toasted coconut? It is a gustatory sensation! The rich coconut flavor is enhanced by lightly toasting the flakes, after which they become crisp and delightful.
Vibrantly sweet mango and creamy avocado round out the tropical flavor profile, and a lime vinaigrette provides the perfect finishing touch.
I’ve already made this salad twice, and that’s saying a lot considering I don’t often make a meal more than once; especially not in the same week.
I just might have it again this week!
Mango, Avocado, & Toasted Coconut Salad with Lime Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp agave nectar
- zest from 1/2 lime
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups mixed greens, washed and dried, preferably organic
- 1 ripe but not overly soft mango, peeled and diced (I used a champagne mango, but red blush would work as well)
- 1/2 ripe but firm avocado, peeled and diced
- Heat a small skillet over medium high heat. Add in the flaked coconut and stir until golden brown and fragrant, about 3-5 minutes. Let cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, agave nectar, lime zest, and lime juice until emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss the greens with the vinaigrette. Gently toss in the diced mango and avocado. Garnish with toasted coconut.