Of course the weather has taken a warm turn and it feels like summer on the day that I post a soup recipe!
Cold, blustery days are not far in the future, though, and you’ll be glad to have this quick, easy, and comforting recipe tucked away.
The chipotle flavor is not overwhelming, and you can decide how much or how little to add… depending on how spicy you like your food to be.
This soup reheats perfectly well, and can also actually be enjoyed cold (think a kicked-up version of vichyssoise).
Next time I’m definitely making a double batch!
|Name||Creamy Chipotle & Green Chile Potato Soup|
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cooking Time||35 minutes|
|Total Time||50 minutes|
|Yield||About 6 cups|
Estimated Nutrition Per Serving
- Calories: 290 kcal
- Protein: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3 g
- Sugars: 2 g
- Fat: 18 g
- Saturated Fat: 9 g
- Cholesterol: 54 mg
- Sodium: 720 mg
Please note that these nutrition estimates are approximate and can vary based on specific ingredients and portion sizes.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 large Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed and chopped (about 4 cups chopped)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth, preferably organic
- 1 cup 1% low fat milk, preferably organic
- 2 Tbsp adobo sauce from a can of chipotles in adobo
- 1 cup freshly grated monterey jack cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves and chipotle hot sauce for serving, optional
Heat olive oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan set over medium-high heat. Add onions to saucepan and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
Add chopped potatoes and minced garlic and cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add chopped green chiles and chicken broth, bring to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are fork tender, about 25-30 minutes.
Remove from heat and add milk & adobo sauce. Puree using an immersion blender or in batches using a blender.
Stir in cheese until melted and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve garnished with cilantro and hot sauce if desired.