I’m sharing with you a recipe from my e-cookbook The Kid’s Daily Plate today for two reasons:
- It is currently Gay Pride Week, and I wanted to show my support for the LGBTQ community by posting a recipe that mirrors the rainbow flag. #loveislove #lovewins
- These skewers are a fun way to get your kids to eat a colorful array of healthy produce.
My kids devour a wide variety of fruit at an alarmingly fast rate, but I know some kids are hesitant to venture past their comfort zone of one or two different kinds. These skewers feature a rainbow of fruits with a naturally sweetened dipping sauce on the side, which will hopefully motivate even the pickiest of eaters to try something new.
Rainbow Fruit Skewers with Banilla Dipping Sauce from The Kid’s Daily Plate
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 0 miutes
Ingredients for the skewers:
- Hulled strawberries or raspberries, preferably organic
- Cubed peeled mango or cantaloupe
- Cubed peeled pineapple (or pineapple canned in 100% juice) or peeled sliced banana
- Peeled & sliced kiwifruit, preferably organic
- Blueberries, preferably organic
- Purple grapes, preferably organic
Ingredients for the banilla dipping sauce:
- 1 peeled very ripe banana
- 2 Tbsp milk, preferably organic
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt, any fat percentage, preferably organic
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
Instructions for the skewers:
Carefully thread the fruit onto wooden skewers or chopsticks in the order listed to make a rainbow pattern.
Serve with banilla dipping sauce (recipe follows).
Instructions for banilla dipping sauce:
Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend/process until very smooth.