Yep, that’s right, grilled cheese with avocado..
|Name:||Avocado & Strawberry Grilled Cheese|
|Cuisine:||Fusion (Combining Various Flavors)|
|Prep Time:||10 minutes|
|Cooking Time:||10 minutes|
|Total Time:||20 minutes|
|Estimated Nutrition Per Serving:||Calories: Approximately 350-400 calories, depending on ingredients and portion size.|
I fell so deeply in love with my Pepper Jack & Peach Panino that I was lured right back into the kitchen with visions of other fruit-filled cheesy sandwiches.
Although this grilled sandwich doesn’t have the spicy kick of the pepper jack panino, what it does have is creamy richness from the avocado, juicy sweetness from the ripe strawberries, and of course tons of melted deliciousness from the sharp cheddar cheese.
In case you’re wondering, there is in fact a reason why I refrained from using my much-beloved panini press to prepare this sandwich. I was concerned that given the volume of ingredients between the slices of bread, the filling would ooze out all over the appliance. Silly, I know, but I didn’t want to lose any of those great flavors – and I also didn’t want a huge mess on my hands. In retrospect, I probably should have utilized the panini press; although the sandwich was delicious, the cheese didn’t quite melt all the way through. Next time I follow this recipe, I will morph it into a panino!
Avocado & Strawberry Grilled Cheese
- rustic whole wheat bread (in other words, steer clear of too-soft sandwich bread and stick with a heartier variety – I love Trader Joe’s Whole Wheat Pane)
- sliced cheese (I opted for reduced-fat sharp cheddar)
- thinly sliced avocado
- thinly sliced strawberries
- cooking spray, non-hydrogenated margarine, or butter
- Heat a panini press or skillet over medium heat.
- Layer the cheese, avocado, and strawberry slices in between two pieces of bread.
- Either coat the outside of the sandwich with cooking spray or spread with a bit of margarine or butter.
- Place sandwich into panini press or skillet. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden and crisp, turning halfway through if using a skillet.
Estimated Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 400 calories
Total Fat: 25 grams
Saturated Fat: 10 grams
Cholesterol: 40 milligrams
Sodium: 500 milligrams
Total Carbohydrates: 35 grams
Dietary Fiber: 7 grams
Sugars: 7 grams