Good. Me neither.
In fact, I can’t seem to curb a near constant craving for the tangy, slightly sweet, and perfectly creamy frozen deliciousness. Without my trusty ice cream machine I’d be shelling out quite a bit of dough at the BerryLine location that is within walking distance of our apartment. I can say write with a high degree of certainty that you will see many homemade frozen yogurt recipes over the next few months on Healthy Food For Living.
Ok, now for this batch of Blueberry-Vanilla Fro-Yo…
Not quite as tart as the previous frozen yogurts posted on my blog, this fro yo is absolutely bursting with fresh blueberry flavor. The deep lavender hue alone makes me happy, but the taste makes me downright giddy. The blueberry flavor is concentrated by simmering together the berries with a bit of vanilla agave nectar and water. Even more flavor is added from the addition of fat free vanilla Greek yogurt, and creaminess is contributed by including 2% fat plain Greek yogurt.
As with most low-fat homemade frozen yogurt recipes, this sweet treat is at its best consistency (soft-serve) straight from the ice cream machine. For easy scooping after freezing, take the frozen yogurt container out of the freezer and let rest at room temperature for about 1/2 hour before you plan to dig in.
Blueberry-Vanilla Frozen Yogurt
- 1 pint (about 2 cups) fresh blueberries, preferably organic (recently added to the “Dirty Dozen” list)
- 2 Tbsp vanilla agave nectar, OR 2 Tbsp regular agave + 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 cups vanilla 0% fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup plain 2% fat Greek yogurt
- Combine blueberries, agave nectar, and water in a small saucepan; bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until blueberries begin to break down & mixture thickens slightly, about 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the blueberry mixture and yogurts; stir well. Chill mixture in the refrigerator until cold.
- Freeze according to ice cream maker manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve immediately as soft serve, or spoon into a freezer-safe container and place in freezer until “ripened” (hardened).