Stuffed artichokes are a timeless Mediterranean delicacy that combines the earthy flavors of artichokes with a savory stuffing mixture.
This recipe not only tantalizes the taste buds but also provides a healthy dose of fiber and antioxidants. If you’re looking to impress your guests or simply indulge in a delightful dish, this stuffed artichoke recipe is a must-try.
|Name||Stuffed Artichokes Recipe|
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cooking Time||45 minutes|
|Total Time||1 hour and 15 minutes|
|Yield||4 stuffed artichokes|
- 4 large artichokes
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare the Artichokes:
- Begin by trimming the tough outer leaves of the artichokes using a sharp knife.
- Cut off the top inch of each artichoke and rub the cut ends with a lemon half to prevent browning.
- Use kitchen scissors to trim the thorny tips of the remaining leaves.
2. Steam the Artichokes:
- Place the artichokes in a large pot with enough water to cover the bottom by about 2 inches.
- Squeeze the lemon halves into the water and add them to the pot.
- Cover and steam the artichokes over medium heat for about 30-45 minutes or until a leaf pulls away easily.
3. Prepare the Stuffing:
- While the artichokes are steaming, prepare the stuffing mixture.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the fresh breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan cheese, minced garlic, chopped parsley, chopped basil, and extra-virgin olive oil.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste and mix until well combined.
4. Stuff the Artichokes:
- Once the artichokes are tender, remove them from the pot and let them cool slightly.
- Gently spread the leaves apart and stuff the breadcrumb mixture between the leaves, pressing it in firmly.
5. Bake the Stuffed Artichokes:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place the stuffed artichokes in a baking dish and drizzle with a little extra olive oil.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the breadcrumb topping is golden brown and crispy.
6. Serve and Enjoy:
- Remove the stuffed artichokes from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes.
- Serve them warm as an appetizer or side dish, with additional lemon wedges for squeezing over the top.
These stuffed artichokes are a culinary masterpiece, combining the natural beauty of artichokes with a flavorful, herb-infused breadcrumb stuffing. Whether you’re sharing them with loved ones or savoring them on your own, this Mediterranean delight is sure to become a favorite in your repertoire of recipes. Enjoy the rich and satisfying taste of stuffed artichokes as they transport you to the sunny shores of the Mediterranean!
Nutrition (Per Stuffed Artichoke):
- Calories: Approximately 340 calories
- Protein: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 42g
- Dietary Fiber: 10g
- Sugars: 4g
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Sodium: 610mg
- Potassium: 494mg
- Vitamin A: 13%
- Vitamin C: 30%
- Calcium: 19%
- Iron: 22%
10 Simple Variations of Stuffed Artichoke Recipes
Stuffed artichokes are a delicious culinary adventure waiting to be explored. These versatile veggies provide a perfect canvas for creative fillings. Whether you’re a cheese lover, a seafood enthusiast, or a herb aficionado, there’s a stuffed artichoke recipe for you. Let’s dive into 10 simple variations to elevate your artichoke game.
1. Classic Stuffed Artichokes:
Prepare artichokes as in the main recipe. For the stuffing, mix breadcrumbs, garlic, Parmesan, parsley, and olive oil. Stuff the artichokes and bake. Serve with lemon wedges.
2. Italian Sausage Stuffed Artichokes:
Add browned Italian sausage to the stuffing mixture for a savory twist. The sausage infuses the artichokes with a rich, meaty flavor.
3. Spinach and Feta Stuffed Artichokes:
Mix wilted spinach and crumbled feta into your stuffing for a Mediterranean-inspired filling that’s both creamy and tangy.
4. Crab-Stuffed Artichokes:
Incorporate lump crab meat, breadcrumbs, garlic, and herbs into the stuffing. The sweet crab complements the artichokes beautifully.
5. Vegetarian Stuffed Artichokes:
Skip the meat and create a vegetarian version with sautéed mushrooms, onions, and bell peppers, mixed with breadcrumbs and herbs.
6. Mediterranean Stuffed Artichokes:
Use couscous as a base for your stuffing, combined with sun-dried tomatoes, Kalamata olives, and crumbled feta cheese for a taste of the Mediterranean.
7. Lemon and Herb Stuffed Artichokes:
Enhance the stuffing with a generous amount of fresh lemon zest and a variety of herbs like thyme, rosemary, and oregano for a zesty, fragrant dish.
8. Garlic and Parmesan Stuffed Artichokes:
Double up on garlic and Parmesan in the stuffing for an extra cheesy, aromatic flavor profile that garlic lovers will adore.
9. Quinoa and Chickpea Stuffed Artichokes:
Swap breadcrumbs for cooked quinoa and add chickpeas, roasted red peppers, and a drizzle of tahini sauce for a wholesome, protein-packed filling.
10. Pesto-Stuffed Artichokes:
Mix your breadcrumbs with a generous amount of homemade basil pesto for a burst of fresh, herbaceous flavor in every bite.
Stuffed artichokes offer a world of flavors and possibilities. From cheesy classics to exotic creations, there’s a stuffed artichoke recipe to suit every palate. Get creative in the kitchen with versatile fillings, and watch these humble veggies transform into a gourmet delight that’s sure to impress your guests.