As excited as I am to start cooking and baking with my favorite fall foods, I’ve convinced myself to take full advantage of late summer’s in-season produce for the time being.
Although the official Autumnal Equinox is a little over two weeks away, Labor Day weekend marks the end of summer for many, and is thus the perfect time to post a salad recipe featuring three of summer’s stellar ingredients: corn, tomatoes, and basil.
I wanted to showcase the fresh produce in all of its natural glory, so I decided to keep the corn uncooked. If you’ve shied away from raw corn in the past, I hope that this recipe serves as inspiration enough to try it. Sweet, juicy, and crisp, corn in its pure state is remarkably delicious.
The pairing of fresh corn with succulent tomatoes and fragrant basil captures the essence of bright summer flavors. This salad is sure to be a well-received accompaniment to any Labor Day barbeque menu, and can be made a few hours in advance.
Pumpkins, sweet potatoes, and apples are ingredients to look forward to, but right now it’s time for the flavors in this Raw Corn, Tomato, & Basil Salad to shine.
Raw Corn, Tomato, & Basil Salad
- 2 cups fresh raw corn kernels (from about 4 ears)
- 2 cups halved grape (or cherry) tomatoes, preferably organic
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2-4 cups fresh baby greens, preferably organic
- Place corn kernels and tomatoes in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, basil, & olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the corn and tomatoes, and stir to combine.
- Serve on top of, or mixed into, greens.