|Name:||Pumpkin & Sweet Potato Bisque|
|Prep Time:||15 minutes|
|Cooking Time:||60 minutes (includes roasting time)|
|Total Time:||75 minutes|
|Yield:||About 6 cups of soup|
1. I thought it was pretty awesome when I scored a 99 point word while playing Words With Friends last week…
… and then I scored a 102 point word later that very same day.
And this is coming from a girl who loses the game more often than she wins. Perhaps the tides are turning?!
Either that or I just play the game way too often. I currently have 7 games going. You be the judge ;).
2. John and I finally made it to Five Guys after hearing the hype about the burger & fries chain from many friends.
The “little hamburger” with lettuce, tomato, dill pickles, and ketchup that I ordered tasted pretty good… but the photo I snapped of it was horrific. The humanely raised beef patty was thin but juicy and the toppings (you can order as many as you’d like – gratis) were fresh; but I was disappointed by the white sesame seed bun, which was pretty run-of-the-mill.
The fries – which people apparently go crazy over, were also just okay. I do appreciate that they use fresh potatoes (sacks of spuds adorn the sitting area) and fry them in trans fat-free peanut oil, but they just weren’t as good as they are talked up to be.
3. To make up for the less-than-amazing fries, I came up with a new recipe over the weekend.
Here’s a teaser:
The recipe will be posted later this week!
4. Today’s Back Burner recipe is for Pumpkin & Sweet Potato Soup.
Just when you though it was safe to assume I was done coming up with pumpkin recipes
Ingredients to Craft Your Monday Magic
1 small pumpkin 3 pounds)
2 medium-sized sweet potatoes
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
4 cups of vegetable broth
1 cup of coconut milk (or your preferred non-dairy milk)
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil for roasting
- Preheat Your Oven: Begin by preheating your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Prep the Vegetables:
- Cut the pumpkin in half, remove the seeds, and brush the flesh with olive oil. Place it cut-side down on a baking sheet.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes, pierce them with a fork, and place them on the same baking sheet.
- Roast both the pumpkin and sweet potatoes for about 45-50 minutes or until they’re tender.
- Sauté the Aromatics:
- While the vegetables are roasting, heat a large pot over medium heat. Add a splash of olive oil and sauté the finely chopped onion and minced garlic until they become fragrant and translucent.
- Blend and Simmer:
- Once the pumpkin and sweet potatoes are done roasting, let them cool slightly. Then, scoop out the pumpkin flesh and peel the sweet potatoes.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the roasted vegetables, sautéed onions and garlic, vegetable broth, coconut milk, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg. Blend until you achieve a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Transfer the blended mixture to the large pot and heat it over medium-low heat. Allow it to simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and Savor:
- Ladle the warm Pumpkin & Sweet Potato Bisque into bowls. You can garnish it with a drizzle of coconut milk, a sprinkle of cinnamon, or some roasted pumpkin seeds for an extra touch of elegance.
Estimated Nutrition Per Serving:
Calories: 180 calories
Total Fat: 8g
Saturated Fat: 6g
Trans Fat: 0g
Total Carbohydrates: 28g
Dietary Fiber: 5g
Vitamin D: 0%