I could eat this sandwich for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. All in the same day.
Boasting all of the flavors and textures of carrot cake, this sandwich is obviously much healthier than a piece of the traditional dessert. Lightly sweetened low-fat cream cheese is layered with spiced grated carrots, raisins, and toasted walnuts – all of which are sandwiched between two slices of whole wheat cinnamon raisin bread.
With this decadent-tasting but irrefutably healthful sandwich, you can have your cake and eat it too!
Carrot Cake Sandwich
- 1/2 cup finely shredded or grated carrots, preferably organic
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup, divided
- 2 Tbsp light whipped cream cheese, (or neufchatel), at room temperature
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 slices whole wheat cinnamon raisin bread
- 2 Tbsp chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 Tbsp raisins
- Stir together the cream cheese and 1 tsp maple syrup in a small bowl until well combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the shredded carrots, remaining 1 tsp maple syrup, and spices.
- Spread one slice of bread with the maple cream cheese. Top with the toasted walnuts and raisins. Spoon on the carrots and top with the remaining bread slice.