Clearly, I didn’t waste any time putting those leftover Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Muffins to use.
I have a confession to make: After luxuriating in the initial muffin or slice of quick bread still warm from the oven, I rarely eat the remaining baked goods plain. I cube ‘em up to make bread pudding, crumble ‘em over yogurt, or sandwich ‘em around peanut butter and other tasty fillings
Therefore, it comes as no surprise that as soon as I finished a freshly baked muffin on Monday morning, I began brainstorming uses for the remaining muffins.
This trifle was the first idea to come to fruition.
Muffin crumbles are layered with tangy and thick Greek yogurt, all-fruit raspberry preserves, and banana slices in this fancy-pants breakfast trifle.
As I was gathering the ingredients together on the counter this morning, John glanced over his shoulder on his way to work and casually commented on the decadent-looking cupcake impostor, “Chocolate for breakfast?”. I responded – in an equally casual manner – “A chocolate muffin for breakfast”, as he kissed me goodbye and headed out the door.
Then I added chocolate chips to the top of the trifle.
Hey, I’m on vacation (spring break!).
And this trifle is certainly a vacation-worthy breakfast. Reminiscent of black forest cake, the flavor play of rich chocolate and sweet red raspberry is nicely complimented by tangy yogurt and slightly under-ripe bananas. The grain-sweetened chocolate chips add a bit of texture and whimsy to the trifle, but you can leave them out if you’d prefer.
But let’s be honest… they complete that perfect bite.
Chocolate, Raspberry, & Banana Breakfast Trifle
yield: one trifle
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp plain 0% (or 2%) Greek yogurt
- 1 Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Muffin, crumbled
- 2 Tbsp all-fruit red raspberry preserves, such as St. Dalfour
- 1/2 large greenish-yellow banana, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Tbsp grain-sweetened chocolate chips, optional
- Spoon 1/4 cup of yogurt into the bottom of a tall glass. Top with half of the crumbled muffin. Layer on 1 Tbsp preserves and half of the banana slices.
- Repeat step 1 with 1/4 cup yogurt, half muffin, 1 Tbsp preserves, and banana slices.
- Top with remaining 1 Tbsp yogurt and chocolate chips.
- Enjoy your chocolate for breakfast!