Prior to discovering the wonders of homemade granola, I kept our pantry stocked with Nature’s Path Granola. My favorite varieties were the Pumpkin Flax Plus Granola and the Peanut Butter Granola. The latter granola is crunchy, sweet, and packed with peanuts. I ate it for breakfast, adding in a few extra spoonfuls to help “finish off” the milk; I ate it for lunch, sprinkled over yogurt & fruit; I ate it for snacks and desserts, by the [double] handful.
It’s just that good.
Well, considering I successfully adapted a recipe for homemade pumpkin granola, it was high time that I set to work creating a homemade peanut butter granola.
Here is the end result!
The base of the granola is comprised of crunchy clusters of rolled oats and puffed brown rice, lightly sweetened with Turbinado sugar and brown rice syrup.
The rich flavor of the peanut butter is heightened by the addition of roasted unsalted peanuts, which also adds extra crunch to the granola.
This serves as an impetus to make homemade granola more often!
Homemade granola is easily customizable, allowing for near endless possibilities of ingredient additions. How scrumptious would this granola be with mashed banana in place of the applesauce, and a scattering of grain-sweetened chocolate chips tossed in after baking?! Another idea is to keep the recipe as is, and mix in your favorite dried fruit after baking for a spin on the classic pb&j flavor combination.
Peanut Butter Granola
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups puffed brown rice cereal
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 6 Tbsp (1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp) smooth or crunchy all-natural peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 Tbsp Turbinado sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 2 Tbsp brown rice syrup (or other liquid sweetener, such as maple syrup, agave nectar, or honey)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted raw or dry-roasted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Measure the oats and rice cereal into a large bowl, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the applesauce, peanut butter, oil, sugar, brown rice syrup, vanilla extract, and salt. Whisk until well-mixed.
- Pour wet ingredients over cereal and stir until evenly coated. Spread mixture on the prepared cookie sheet in an even layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove sheet from the oven, stir the peanuts into the granola, and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the granola is golden brown and crisp.
- Remove granola from the oven and cool completely. Store in an airtight container.