Here we go! Recipe # 2 of “Tropical Week”.
As many of you are well aware, I eat ice cream and frozen yogurt throughout the year, (yes, even during the frigid New England winters), but it is around this time that my yearning for frozen treats is pushed into high gear.
I’m especially drawn to fruity ice cream and frozen yogurt flavors during the spring, as ripe produce starts piling up on grocery store and farmer’s market shelves.
This mango fro yo is super simple to whip together, and is refreshingly delicious piled into a bowl… but melting into a serving of warm Tropical Fruit Crisp, (recipe coming in a couple of days!), is a perfectly decadent way to enjoy the sweet flavor and creamy texture.
Despite the addition of a splash of vodka, the fro yo still managed to freeze pretty hard; but 10 minutes on the counter – or 30 seconds in the microwave – render it soft enough to scoop.
As long as mangos are in season, I will have a batch of this frozen yogurt hanging out in the freezer!
Mango Frozen Yogurt
yields 4 servings
- 2 cups peeled, pitted, & chopped very ripe mango
- 1 1/2 cups plain 2% Greek yogurt, such as Fage
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 Tbsp vodka, optional (this is used to keep the frozen yogurt a bit softer in the freezer)
- Place the chopped mango into a food processor and puree until smooth. Add in the remaining ingredients and puree until well-mixed.
- Chill mixture in the refrigerator until cold.
- Freeze according to ice cream maker manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve immediately as soft serve, or spoon into a freezer-safe container and place in freezer until “ripened” (hardened).
Nutritional Information per serving (about a scant 1/2 cup): 174 calories, 1.9 grams fat, 1.2 grams saturated fat, 1.5 grams fiber, 33 grams sugar (this is mostly from the naturally sweet mango!), 0.5 grams protein