The Sweet Side Of Ancient Grains is chock full of desserts made with whole grains.
To whet your appetite, listen to some of these enticing recipes:
- Spelt Dulce de Leche Apple Streusel Bars
- Buckwheat Double Dark Chocolate Brownie Cookies
- Teff Espresso Hazelnut Brownies
- Quinoa Molten Lava Cakes for Two
- Emmer Pumpkin Cheesecake Tart
- Barley Black Forest Cobbler
It was NOT easy to choose one recipe to share with you, but No-Bake Peanut Butter Coconut Chocolate Bars caught my eye and I couldn’t shake an instant craving for them.
These bars came together in no time, and although it was tough to wait for them to cool completely in the fridge, it was well worth it because they are nothing short of perfection! I can’t think of a more delicious combination than chocolate, peanut butter, and coconut, and these bars deliver on all three flavor fronts. Plus, the coconut flakes retain some of their crunch when enrobed in the chocolate-peanut butter mixture, adding a fun textural element.
I think I’m going to need to make another batch once we blow through the first one… which shouldn’t take very long!
No-Bake Peanut Butter Coconut Chocolate Bars
It doesn’t get much easier than this. You just melt and stir everything together and voila – candy bars packed with better-for-you ingredients! Think of these as chocolate coconut candy bars with a hint of peanut butter. If you want to pump up the peanut butter flavor, slather some peanut butter on top after cooking slightly. If you’re watching calories, it’s probably best to think of these as candy bars. A small square goes a long way!
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 5 minutes
READY IN: 15 minutes, plus cooling
YIELD: 16-20 bars
GLUTEN-FREE: CERTIFIED GLUTEN-FREE OATS
DAIRY-FREE: COCONUT OIL, DAIRY-FREE CHOCOLATE CHIPS
- 1/4 cup (56 grams) unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons (224 grams) salted natural peanut butter or other nut butter
- 3 tablespoons (60 grams) honey
- 1 cup (170 grams) dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup (85 grams) unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 3/4 cup (161 grams) rolled oats
- 1/3 cup (50 grams) chopped peanuts or 1/4 cup (25 grams) unsweetened shredded, flaked or desiccated coconut, as garnish (optional)
- Line an 8 x 8 inch (20 x 20 cm) baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter or coconut oil. Add in the peanut butter and honey, and when well combined stir in the chocolate chips and continue stirring until melted. Stir in the coconut and then the oats.
- Spoon the mixture onto the bottom of the prepared pan and press down firmly. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts or coconut, if desired. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until firm. Cut into bars and refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
TIP: These freeze wonderfully and would make a great treat for the lunchbox. Note that these will melt and become a mess in the heat.