This is one of those recipes that comes together as a result of perusing the contents of the fridge, counters, and pantry. I wanted to whip up something to serve alongside a pasta dish, and this cheese spread came together in a matter of minutes. I served in slathered on toasted hearty whole wheat Tuscan Pane from Trader Joe’s, and it was a lovely accompaniment.
You really can’t go wrong with the ingredients called for in this recipe. The creamy richness of the part-skim ricotta cheese is nicely balanced by the tang of the goat cheese, and the chewy sun-dried tomatoes and fresh basil add the perfect bright flavor elements.
This “spread” would also be great as an easy pasta sauce: loosen it up with a bit of hot water (preferably the water used to cook the pasta in) until the desired consistency has been reached, and toss with cooked pasta. Top with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese and an extra sprinkling of chopped basil, and you’ll have a simple but tasty dish!
You could also use this spread in a sandwich or panino, layered with fresh mozzarella, juicy heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced prosciutto, and a few fresh basil leaves.
Or, you could enjoy it directly from a spoon ;).
Sun-dried Tomato & Basil Cheese Spread
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta
- 1/4 cup soft goat cheese (chevre)
- 2 Tbsp drained and chopped sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, combine ricotta, goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and basil. Mix well to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.