So I’m a little late coming to the s’mores party that food bloggers have been attending for the past year or so…
… but now that I’ve arrived, I certainly won’t be the first to leave!
Actually, I just remembered these S’mores Crispy Bars I made a while ago; I had completely forgotten about those! And I did profess my adoration of combining graham cereal and chocolate chips as a s’mores inspired snacky dessert.
So, I guess I have actually posted a couple of s’mores-style desserts.
But today I want to talk to you about breakfast.
Pancakes to be precise.
Chocolate pancakes studded with graham cereal (Three Sisters Graham Crackerz cereal).
Chocolate pancakes studded with graham cereal and smothered in an all-natural marshmallow creme sauce.
Chocolate pancakes studded with graham cereal, smothered in an all-natural marshmallow creme sauce, and finished off with additional graham cereal & a scattering of grain-sweetened chocolate chips.
The marshmallow creme sauce aside, these pancakes actually taste more like breakfast than dessert.
The pancakes themselves are not very sweet, but they do have a rich chocolate flavor thanks to unsweetened cocoa powder. The cereal – which is a healthier version of Golden Grahams – is sweet but not overly so, and adds a nice crunch to the pancakes.
As for the marshmallow creme sauce, (which consists of all-natural marshmallow creme + a touch of water), it is undeniably an indulgent ingredient for breakfast, but it is also totally necessary in order to replicate the classic s’mores treat.
[Doesn’t the stack of pancakes in the above photograph look like Pac-man attacking a chocolate chip?!]
Make these on Saturday morning. Don’t share.
Then make a double batch on Sunday morning to split with your boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife/kid/mom/dad/roommate.
S’mores for breakfast? Heck yeah!
S’mores Pancakes for One
yield: 1 serving
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- tiny pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk, well-shaken
- 1/4 cup coarsely crushed all-natural graham cereal, such as Three Sisters Graham Crackerz (available at Whole Foods)
- canola oil cooking spray
- 2 Tbsp all-natural marshmallow creme, such as Tiny Trapeze
- 1 tsp warm water
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cane sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg white and buttermilk
- Stir dry ingredients into the wet just until moistened. Gently fold in graham cereal. Set aside to rest.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Coat with cooking spray.
- When hot, spoon the batter into the skillet by the 1/4 cupful.
- When bubbles appear on the surface of the batter, (about 1-2 minutes), the pancakes are ready to be flipped.
- Flip pancakes and let cook for another minute or so, or until done.
- While pancakes are cooking, whisk together the marshmallow creme and warm water until smooth and pour-able.
- Serve topped with marshmallow creme sauce, as well as additional graham cereal and a few grain-sweetened chocolate chips if desired.
484.1 calories, 4.6 grams fat, 1.7 grams saturated fat, 11.9 grams fiber, 37.4 grams sugar, 16.5 grams protein