Today marks the first day of my summer vacation.
Do you know what that means?
No more packed lunches!
Although during the school year I tried to vary my mid-day meals throughout the work week, I found myself resorting to a rather boring rotation of leftovers, fruit & yogurt, peanut butter and banana sandwiches, and hummus & veggie sandwiches.
Well, now that I’ll be home for lunch every day, I’m looking forward to making exactly what I’m craving in the moment…
…which more often than not in the hot summer is a fresh & bright fruity salad.
This is a sweet salad in every sense of the word.
Juicy raspberries and strawberries are joined by creamy bites of tangy goat cheese encrusted in crunchy granola atop tender baby greens. The gorgeous Red Berry Vinaigrette I posted last week is generously drizzled on top as the perfect finishing touch.
What do you like to make when you’re home for lunch?
Red Berry Salad with Granola-Crusted Goat Cheese
yield: 1 serving
- 1 ounce soft goat cheese
- 2 Tbsp granola, such as Berry Cherry Almond Granola (dried cherries and large slices of almond removed)
- 2 cups mixed salad greens, preferably organic
- 1/4 cup raspberries, preferably organic
- 2 medium strawberries, preferably organic, hulled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp Red Berry Vinaigrette
- Divide the goat cheese into small pieces and roll into balls using your palms.
- Lay the granola out on a plate. Roll the goat cheese balls in the granola, pressing so that the granola stick and creates a crust. Set aside.
- Place the greens on a plate. Top with granola-crusted goat cheese balls, raspberries, and strawberries.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the top and serve.
155.6 calories, 11.2 grams fat, 4.35 grams saturated fat, 20.6 grams carbohydrates, 6.1 grams fiber, 7.1 grams sugar, 8.3 grams protein