I follow neither a raw nor vegan diet, but I can appreciate the ease and simplicity of whipping together a tasty dessert that requires no cooking.
This thick and rich pudding has the consistency and flavor of traditional chocolate pudding, but contains drastically different ingredients. Instead of heavy cream or milk, eggs yolks, refined sugar, and chocolate, this raw & vegan pudding is comprised of dates, ripe bananas, cocoa powder, and just a touch of pure maple syrup. In fact, if your bananas are ripe enough, the maple syrup might not even be necessary to achieve the desired level of sweetness.
All you need are the ingredients listed below, plus a food processor or blender, to make a truly satisfying & healthy chocolate pudding.
And that, my friends, might be just what you need as a mid-week end-of-winter pick-me-up!
Raw Vegan Chocolate Pudding
- 4 large Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 small very ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-2 Tbsp pure maple syrup (optional)
- Cover dates with warm water in a small bowl and let soak for 10 minutes, or until soft. Drain.
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients up to cocoa powder and blend until smooth. Taste, and add maple syrup if desired. Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator.