Is it hot right now where you are?
Last week, for a few days in a row, Boston suffered temperatures that encroached on the triple digits (it’s currently back in the 60s, but I know the heat will return!).
After sitting in my third story classroom of our school building built during the Great Depression era (i.e. no air conditioning) for eight sweltering hours, the absolute last thing I wanted to do was turn on the oven to make dinner.
A couple ears of fresh corn were all the inspiration I needed to put together this refreshing salad.
Have you ever eaten raw corn before? If not, you really must try it. Juicy, crisp, and incredibly sweet, raw corn makes for the perfect base of a summer salad.
I went with a decidedly Tex-Mex flavor profile given the ingredients I had on hand. I was especially excited to put this new purchase to use:
That would be Persian lime-infused olive oil from the Boston Olive Oil Company. Relatively new to the desirable Newbury Street address, this tiny store had been on my to-visit list since the fall. The single room is simply set up with dozens of olive oil and balsamic vinegar jugs, each with their own dispensers, under which petite tasting cups sit waiting to be filled.
Favorites of mine included the Whole Fruit Blood Orange Olive Oil, Dark Chocolate Balsamic, Pumpkin Balsamic, and Wild Blueberry Balsamic… but we ended up settling on the Vanilla Balsamic Vinegar and this Whole Fruit Persian Lime Olive Oil.
If you’re in the Boston area, I highly suggest stopping by the Boston Olive Oil Company. If you’re not… take a gander at the offerings through their online store!
Raw Corn Salad with Cumin Lime Dressing
Yield: 2 servings
- 1 cup fresh raw corn kernels, about 2 ears
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 Tbsp red onion, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 Tbsp lime-infused olive oil, such as Boston Olive Oil Company Whole Fruit Persian Lime
- 1/4 tsp evaporated cane juice
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a medium mixing bowl, place the corn kernels, sliced green onions, diced red onion, and chopped cilantro.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the lime juice, lime olive oil, evaporated cane juice, and cumin. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss corn mixture with the dressing. Taste, and season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
132.6 calories, 7.7 grams fat, 1.1 grams saturated fat, 16.2 grams carbohydrates, 2.5 grams fiber, 3.3 grams sugars, 2.8 grams protein