I don’t know what the weather is like where you live, but the Northeast saw temperatures in the mid 80’s this past weekend.
For someone like me – who lives for crisp, cool, and dry autumn weather – this return to summer-like temperatures was not as well-received as it most likely was for most New Englanders.
I actually had a recipe for cozy pumpkin & sweet potato chili all set to share with you today, but at the last minute I swapped it for out for something more appropriate given the warmer weather.
True, there are no lack of pumpkin milkshake recipes circulating around on food blogs far and wide… but I was determined to concoct a lighter version to post on HFFL.
Although I still consider this seasonal shake – clocking in at 355 calories – to be an occasional treat instead of a nightly dessert, it is certainly healthier than most milkshakes out there.
The inclusion of frozen banana slices allows you to use less of the rich ice cream without sacrificing the thick consistency that makes milkshakes so irresistible. Pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice ensures that the shake will actually taste like pumpkin, and graham cracker crumbs complete the “pumpkin pie” flavor profile.
If a temporary “heat wave” sets the stage for me to indulge in one of these heavenly milkshakes, I guess I can tolerate it… for a little a while at least ;).
Pumpkin Pie Milkshake
yield: 1 milkshake
- 1/4 cup pumpkin ice cream (I used Trader Joe’s; use pumpkin fro yo for an even lighter milkshake)
- 1 medium banana, cut into slices and frozen overnight
- 1/4 cup chilled pure pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
- splash vanilla extract
- tiny splash maple extract
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 squares whole wheat graham crackers, (such as Mi Del), crumbled & divided
- Combine all ingredients up through pumpkin pie spice in a blender; blend until smooth. Add in half of the graham cracker crumbs and pulse until incorporated.
- Serve topped with remaining graham cracker crumbs.
Nutritional Information (using Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Ice Cream):
355.8 calories, 8.8 grams fat, 3.3 grams saturated fat, 7.2 grams fiber, 37.5 grams sugar, 5 grams protein