There are songs written about it, over-quoted movie one-liners centered on it, and millions of grumbles and sighs exclaimed over it every week as people wake up to go back to work after yet another too-short weekend.
While you sip your morning coffee/juice/smoothie/beverageofchoice, I thought it would be fun to share a few pieces of my weekend with you… courtesy of the Instagram app on my handy dandy iPhone (which at one point I swore I would never buy, and now can’t imagine my life without).
1. I made myself a nice little brunch on Friday. Fried egg with flaked sea salt, melted brie cheese, and toasted Great Harvest honey whole wheat bread.
2. After buying a loaf of this fabulous bread a few weeks ago, I’ve committed to never buying grocery store sandwich bread again. Maybe someday I’ll make my own and swear off buying bread, period… baby steps.
3. Is there anything more glorious than a runny egg yolk? I think not. Unless it’s surround by creamy melty brie.
4. Brunch “dessert” (because every meal should end on a sweet note!) was this fresh mango, frozen banana, and vanilla almond milk smoothie. It was so thick, I couldn’t even suck it up through a straw. This hurdle gave me the perfect excuse to use my new iced tea spoon recently purchased from Sur La Table.
5. I am like a kid in a candy store at Sur La Table … remind me to wear blinders next time I visit. Clothes and shoes I can bypass; kitchen gadgets? Not so much.
Speaking (writing?) of needing blinders, I was lucky enough to be included in a sneak peak of the brand new Whole Foods that opens today in my town. The previous location was miniscule, and I constantly had to throw elbows while perusing the aisles. True, there are 4 Whole Foods stores with a 10 mile radius of our apartment (one of the MANY reasons I love living outside of Boston), but this one was within walking distance (as is the new location). The new space is airy and utterly gorgeous. Features that stood out are:
- outdoor seating to enjoy prepared food
- kitchens for cooking classes
- gelato, ice cream & frozen yogurt bar
- deli counter (I can’t even tell you the last time I ate deli meat!)
- made-to-order pizzas and calzones
- large selection of organic local produce
- locally caught (from Gloucester, MA) wild seafood
- frogamerie with gourmet artisanal cheeses + free samples
- and… wait for it… KOMBUCHA ON TAP! A kombucha bar within walking distance of our apartment? I am going to live at this store.
The swag bag included the following:
- organic 365 Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce
- organic 365 Whole Wheat Penne
- cranberry nut Fastichi mix
- Dancing Deer Baking Co. Chocolate Chunk Brownie
- Dancing Deer Baking Co. Caramel Pecan Brownie
- 365 Blueberry Cereal Bars
- Lake Champlain Triple Nut chocolate square
- Stonewall Kitchen Wild Main Blueberry Jam
- White Mountain Kettle Corn
I’m planning on going back this morning for the grand opening!
7. Weighing in at fourth place for Shelby’s favorite things to do (closely trailing behind running in the woods, lounging in “her” leather recliner, and wedging herself between me and John smack dab in the middle of our bed) is sticking her head out of the car window; preferably while moving at full speed. I’ve never understood this canine predilection, but she clearly adores it.
8. Roxie (or Roxy, according to John – hopefully we will be able to agree on the spelling of our future childrens’ names) spent pretty much the entire weekend doing this:
I’ve gotta hand it to her: the cat knows how to relax.
How was your weekend?