1. A while ago I was sent a few CORE bars to sample and review, and I finally got around to trying them after storing them in the freezer to preserve their freshness.
The Raw Almond Raisin Defender Meal bar tasted like a healthy oatmeal raisin cookie, and the texture was dense and chewy like a granola bar.
I love that the ingredients (whole oats, almonds, raisins, flax, ground spices) are 100% organic, and that the nutritional stats (380 calories, 8 grams fiber, 11 grams protein) render this bar sufficiently filling as an easy breakfast. As a new mom, it’s especially nice to be able to eat a satisfying but light meal with one hand!
The next bar I tried was the Raw Cashew Cocoa Defender Meal.
I wasn’t much of a fan of this flavor, unfortunately. I found the taste to be somewhat bitter, probably because there is no sugar in the “chocolate” chunks – the ingredients are 100% organic whole oats, cashews, cacao, raisins, flax, and ground spices.
The slight bitterness aside, the nutritional stats of this bar (350 calories, 7 grams fiber, 12 grams protein) are impressive for a fulfilling meal bar.
Finally we have the Raw Walnut Banana, which was good!
100% organic whole oats, walnuts, raisins, flax, bananas, and ground spices combine together to create a bar that tastes like a dense slice of less-sweet, healthy banana bread.
This was my favorite flavor of the three, and at 390 calories, 8 grams fiber, & 12 grams of protein, it makes for an easy and tasty meal-on-the-go.
These fresh organic bars aren’t necessarily something I would routinely rely on for meal replacements, but if you’re looking for a healthy, wholesome option for meals away from home you might want to check ’em out!
2. Dan Brown is releasing his new novel this spring! Very exciting… though I’ll probably have to wait months to be able to take it out from the library. I rarely buy works of fiction considering I rarely read a novel more than once, and prefer to save my money for cookbooks and baby books.
3. Do you watch Downton Abbey? Oh my god, I cried my eyes out during last night’s episode.
I won’t write any more if you have to catch up on episodes, but just prepare yourself for a tear-jerker.
4. I’m really missing my daily walks. It’s been in the single and low double digit temperatures here in Massachusetts, and we’re expecting snow later today. It’s not absolutely terrible being cooped up in the house all day long, but once the weather warms up and sun is back out you can bet that Lily, Shelby and I will be resuming our regular 45 minutes walks!
5. Speaking of Lily, oh my goodness this little girl is so darn adorable and sweet :). She’s just about 1 month old, and is the absolute light of my life! Her daily activities still consist mainly of sleeping, nursing, and soiling diaper after diaper (after diaper…), but most of her naps are spent wrapped snugly in the Moby wrap so I have full access to her sweet-smelling head (parents, you know what I mean!) and when she’s alert her gray-blue eyes are busy taking in her surroundings.
I’ve decided not to post any more photos of Lily on the blog, and I hope you understand my reasoning. I just don’t feel quite comfortable sharing photos of our baby girl on the Internet for all to see. I will continue to post updates, however, for those who are interested!