Photogenic it is not, but this casserole is deeeeelicious!
Chewy and nutrient-packed quinoa is folded into a velvety herb cheese sauce speckled with tender broccoli florets and then crowned with a crunchy panko breadcrumb topping. The whole shebang is baked to a gooey + crispy perfection.
Kids & adults alike are sure to love it!
Cheesy Garlic & Herb Broccoli Quinoa Casserole
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: bake main entree vegetarian cheese quinoa
Ingredients (4-6 servings)
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, soaked for at least 20 minutes and drained
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth (preferably organic) or water
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low fat milk, preferably organic
- 1 (8 oz) block Cabot Garlic & Herb Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped broccoli florets, preferably organic
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup unseasoned Panko breadcrumbs (preferably whole wheat)
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Combine drained quinoa and 2 cups broth or water in a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, stir briefly, then cover and lower heat. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
While the quinoa cooks, heat 3 Tbsp olive oil in a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking constantly, for 30 seconds.
While whisking, slowly stream in milk. Whisk constantly until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 4-5 minutes.
Remove from heat, stir in shredded cheese and chopped broccoli, and season to taste with salt and & pepper. Combine with cooked quinoa. Spread evenly in a casserole dish (I used an 11 inch oval dish).
In a small bowl, combine melted butter, 2 Tbsp olive oil, and breadcrumbs. Stir until the the breadcrumbs are fully moistened. Scatter evenly over the quinoa.
Bake for 15 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.