Pumpkin has been getting a LOT of love around these parts (and it’s not ending anytime soon)…
… but apples also take center stage in my diet starting this time of year. As tough as it is to say goodbye to summer fruits, I always welcome apples back into my life with open arms.
We’re still somewhat between seasons – temperature wise – here in the Boston area, so although I’ve finally switched from cold overnight oats to hot stovetop oatmeal as my breakfast staple, I still crave cold and refreshing treats every once in a while.
This shake combines the classic flavor combination of apples and caramel, and falls somewhere between a smoothie and a milkshake. Caramel frozen yogurt pairs up with frozen applesauce cubes to provide the “body” of the shake, thick almond milk and sweet apple cider combine for a balance of consistency and flavor, apple pie spice brings a touch of cozy warmth, and a drizzle of caramel sauce adds a decadent finishing touch.
Caramel Apple Cider Shake
yield: 1 shake
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce, frozen in ice cube trays until solid
- 1/2 cup caramel frozen yogurt, such as Stonyfield Creme Caramel
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp apple cider
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/8 tsp apple pie spice
- 1 tsp all-natural caramel sauce
- Place frozen applesauce cubes, frozen yogurt, cider, milk, and spice in a blender; blend until smooth and well-combined.
- Pour into a glass and drizzle with caramel sauce.
258.1 calories, 3.5 grams fat, 1.2 grams saturated fat, 1.9 grams fiber, 50.4 grams sugar, 4.8 grams protein