I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again…
There was a time when I thought I didn’t like buffalo chicken.
What I was actually turned off by were the greasy, fatty, & grisly buffalo wings so often found at sports bars.
Little did I know back then that the redeeming qualities of buffalo wings (spicy heat and the tangy blue cheese often served alongside) could be used in healthy & tasty recipes.
Thank goodness my foray into the foodie world led me to discover the possibilities of combining chicken, hot sauce, and blue cheese into a vast array of dishes.
Such as chicken salad!
Consider this the cold lunch version of my Buffalo Chicken Calzones. Cooked chicken folded into creamy & cooling Greek yogurt gets a flavor punch from hot sauce & crumbled blue cheese. As you might recall, celery never makes its way into my crisper drawer; I used diced carrots for crunch instead.
You can eat the chicken salad as is atop a bed of fresh greens, sandwich it between two slices of hearty whole grain bread, or – as I did – roll it up in soft whole wheat tortillas.
Buffalo Chicken Salad
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Keywords: salad main chicken greek yogurt cheese
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked organic chicken, chilled (I used leftover roasted chicken, but poached would also work)
- 1/3 cup plain 2% Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp canola oil mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cayenne pepper hot sauce (or more, to taste)
- a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp freshly crumbled blue cheese
- 1/3 cup diced carrots (about 1 medium)
- Kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- tomato slices, if desired
- 4 slices whole wheat bread OR two whole wheat tortilla wraps
In a large bowl, stir together the yogurt, mayo, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce.
Fold in the chicken, blue cheese crumbles, and diced carrots. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Layer lettuce and tomato slices onto the bread OR tortilla wraps and spoon on the chicken salad.