I’ll assume that this isn’t problematic for you, and proceed with presenting the newest flavor!
I was inspired by my Blueberry-Coconut Baked Oatmeal, as the interplay of blueberries and coconut is quite delicious.
These truffles are comprised of medjool dates, apple juice sweetened dried blueberries, cashews, and unsweetened coconut flakes. I entertained the idea of playing around with coconut extract, cinnamon, and salt for added flavor, but ended up really enjoying the truffles as they are.
I’ve actually never had blueberry coconut pie, but it sounds pretty amazing, no? I envision a coconut crust with a sweet blueberry filling – which is precisely what these truffles are.
Most of the dried blueberries are processed into a paste with the dates, but I reserved a few whole dried berries for texture and aesthetics.
These truffles keep quite well in an air-tight container at room temperature for about a week; even longer if stored in the refrigerator.
I’m sure it won’t be long before the next truffle recipe idea comes to fruition ;).
Blueberry Coconut Pie “Truffles”
yield: about 8 truffles
- heaping 1/4 cup chopped soft Medjool dates (about 3 pitted dates)
- heaping 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp dried blueberries, (preferably unsweetened & unsulfured), divided
- heaping 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Place chopped dates and heaping 1/4 cup dried blueberries into the bowl of a food processor, and process until they form a chunky paste, about 20-30 seconds.
- Place cashews into the food processor bowl along with the dried fruit paste, and process until mixed, about 10-20 seconds. Remove mixture from food processor.
- “Knead” the remaining 1 Tbsp dried blueberries into the dough, until well-incorporated. The mixture will be sticky.
- Form 8 small balls out of the mixture by rolling them between your palms. Set aside.
- Place the shredded coconut onto a cutting board or plate and roll the balls around in the coconut until fully coated.
- Once again, roll the balls between your palms so that the coconut adheres and creates a “crust”.
- Store in the refrigerator.
A few things:
- Have you entered the PB & Co. giveaway yet? You have until Friday 3/11/11 at 8 PM EST!
- In case you missed my recipes for Carrot Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting and/or Fiery Red Chili with Loaded Cornbread, head on over to Living Graciously and check ’em out!