Back when I posted my Tofu Egg Salad, Caroline from The Broccoli Hut mentioned that she makes a vegan “egg” salad with avocado… an idea that I just couldn’t get out of my head after I read her comment.
The very next time I made egg salad, I added some avocado to the Greek yogurt/canola oil mayo mixture before folding in the boiled eggs.
As expected, the avocado made the egg salad even more rich and creamy, because let’s face it – avocado makes everything better!
Thanks for the inspiration, Caroline :).
Avocado Egg Salad
- 2 large eggs, preferably organic
- Kosher salt
- 2-3 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt, 0% or 2%
- 2-3 tsp light canola oil mayonnaise, such as Spectrum
- 1/4 of a large avocado, peeled and diced
- 1/4 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp coarse ground mustard, depending on preference
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place eggs in a small saucepan and cover completely with water. Add in a pinch of salt. Bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat; immediately cover and remove from heat. Let eggs sit, covered & off of the heat, for 15 minutes.
- Drain water from the saucepan and give it a few shakes to crack the eggshells in numerous places. Submerse cracked eggs in cold water, drain, and peel. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, mayonnaise, avocado, vinegar, mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When the eggs have cooled, cut them open and remove one of the yolks. Discard (or feed to your dog – Shelby loves egg yolks and they are great for dog’s coats).
- Gently mash the eggs, and then fold them into the avocado mixture mixture.
- Serve chilled or at room-temperature on a bed of lettuce, between two slices of whole wheat bread, or with whole grain crackers (such as Back to Nature).