Unfortunately, my attempt at macaroon ice cream was a flop, but this granola fulfilled my expectations!
The pre-baked granola mixture looks like the batter for those macaroons, no?
It smells just like it, too. Especially when baking in the oven.
Be sure to check on the granola, as it will start to brown around the edges before the center. A quick toss mid-bake ensure even crisping.
At this point, you will have an overwhelming urge to eat the piping hot granola.
Fight this instinct. It will be difficult and almost painful, but not as much as a burnt tongue.
I speak from experience.
This granola is less clumpy than others I’ve made, and I attribute that to the use of all oats instead of a combination of oats and puffed rice cereal.
It is also quite crisp, so if you prefer a chewy granola, simply bake it for less time at a lower oven temperature.
Those disclaimers aside, this granola is delicious!
It tastes pretty much like crumbled and toasted macaroons, which is precisely what I was aiming for.
Almond & Coconut Macaroon Granola
yield: 8 servings
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Tbsp coconut butter, melted (you can easily make this by whirring unsweetened shredded coconut in a food processor until a drippy butter forms – see this post for step-by-step instructions)
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup, preferably Grade B
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (regular or reduced fat)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with a silicon baking mat or parchment paper.
- Place the oats in a large bowl, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the applesauce, melted coconut butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract, almond extract, and salt. Whisk until very smooth.
- Pour wet ingredients over oats and stir until evenly coated. Fold in almonds and coconut. Spread mixture on the prepared baking sheet in an even layer.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the edges of the granola are beginning to turn golden brown. Remove sheet from the oven, stir, and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the granola is golden brown and crisp (for a chewier granola, shave off 3-5 minutes from each baking time)
- Remove from the oven and cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (~1/2 cup) with full-fat shredded coconut:
247.5 calories, 10.8 grams fat, 5.6 grams saturated fat, 34.6 grams carbohydrates, 5.1 grams fiber, 12.5 grams sugar, 5.6 grams protein